Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

3 Days in the Capital City

Highlights of the trip:




  • National Air & Space Museum (Cool stuffs)
  • National Art Gallery( Breathtaking, provocative, and refreshing paintings always attract me)
  • Library of Congress (Thomas Jefferson's Library)
I cannot live without books.
---Thomas Jefferson, June 10, 1815

Oz described his father's fondness of books in A tale of love and darkness,  I remembered he described the appearance of books then. I never saw a very old book collection before. The moment I stepped into the Jeffersons' library, I feel a chill in my heart. "Books then really were sexier than books today". Just a glance of the bindings of those books, I can understand the saying of "books can gave you gooseflesh when you touched them, as though you were groping something private and inaccessible, something that seemed to be tremble at your touch."  It was really a memorable moment to me- those hauntingly beautiful books. I even got the illusion of intoxicating smell of the old original books. 
  • Yummy Falafel, Yummy Yummy Ethiopian food.



Knowledge for today:
Only the Commandant of the Marines,  The Patent Office and the Post Office, besides of the residential areas were spared in the War of 1812, which burned most of the city to the ground.


The choice of Washington’s site along the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers resulted from a compromise between Alexander Hamilton and northern states who wanted the new Federal government to assume Revolutionary War debts and Thomas Jefferson and southern states who wanted the capital placed in a location friendly to slave-holding agricultural interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment