Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Five Days in Sin City-Part II Grand Canyon

What happend in Vegas stays in Vegas. The most thrilling journey is the trip to Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon. 9 hours of punishment to my ass is still worth. Hoover Dam once known as Boulder Dam, named after the city Boulder, is the first goad of development of  Las Vegas. During the Great Depression, the construction of Hoover Dam attracted thousands of unemployed from every corner of the States. People moved their home here with the hope of a sustainable life. Hoover Dam operated by Six Companies then was a huge project unprecedented in history. I watched the documentary film of Hoover Dam in the bus. I remembered the name Frank Crowe and the nickname Hurry Up. :)
Pacific Time Zone.
Some facts about time zones in the States:
There are six time zones in the States. From east to west, they are Eastern Time, Central  Time, Mountain Time, Pacific Time, Alaskan Time, and Hawaii-Aleutian Time.
(U.S. native readers please don't laugh, I know it's common sense to you.:))
 Hoover Dam

     Friendship 

Grand Canyon National Park was the destination of the adventure that day. We arrived around 4-5pm, so I was so lucky to catch the beautiful sunset shots of Grand Canyon. I felt so trivial in front of Nature.
望岳 (杜甫)
岱宗夫如何,齐鲁青未了。 

造化钟神秀,阴阳割昏晓。 

荡胸生层云,决眦入归鸟。 

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小。 

A VIEW OF TAISHAN
Du Fu
What shall I say of the Great Peak? -- 
The ancient dukedoms are everywhere green, 
Inspired and stirred by the breath of creation, 
With the Twin Forces balancing day and night. 
...I bare my breast toward opening clouds, 
I strain my sight after birds flying home. 
When shall I reach the top and hold 
All mountains in a single glance?









Good Bye, Las Vegas!!


No comments:

Post a Comment